When I was a teen, I dreamed of owning my own lizard. My parents were ok with that, but insisted that it would be all my own, and if I wanted one, i had to pay for it all too.
So, I saved up some money the summer after I turned 16. It was August--I remember the day— My mom took me out--first stop was the CD store in E. Bridgewater to pick up the new Pearl Jam Cd “No Code”(i got to drive there as i had my drivers permit!)—then we crossed down route 18 back into Bridgewater to what I believe was then “Best Pet”. They had a tank of iggies….and 2 were left. One fat lil one that was lying like a lazy lizard, and one lil spastic one that was darting back and forth across the top of the cage, upside down. Yep, he’s the one! Of course, I wanted the crazy one. He was $10. We bought a used 10 gallon tank, a little heat rock, hammock, some bedding, food, dishes, heat lamp & bulbs, and were set. The cashier told me some advice about what to feed them, schedules, cleaning, etc…and we got a lil book on him too.
Initially, I wanted to call him Zero. It was after a Smashing Pumpkins song. My Dad wanted to call him Ziggy—but i thought that was too cliché for an iguana. He was Zero for a few days—then that weekend we were hit with Hurricane Eduardo—it was Labor Day weekend. The storm was super hyped—but ended up fizzling out before really hitting hard. It did manage to knock out our power for several hours--- which was dangerous with a lil baby iguana, whom needs to stay warm! My mom started calling him Eddie…. she knew I wanted to…..as I was obsessed with Eddie Vedder at that time too….but I didn't want to be THAT obsessed and evident about it. So…i let the name stick….but insisted his formal name be “Eduardo”….after the hurricane that came the weekend we brought him home. :-)
Eddie was a spazz of a baby! Many nights I had to move his tank to the guest bedroom if I wanted sleep….he’d jump all over his cage all night, making a racket! Eventually I learned he didn't need a black light at night….and removing it actually sleep trained him….thank goodness. I was later able to litter train him too (his “litter boxes” have changed over the years from shoe boxes, to empty beer boxes, a giant dog carrier, and now he just uses newspaper).
In my bedroom at my parents house, Eddie had free roam most days. I often found him sleeping on top of my window curtains- or spread across several hangers of clothes in my closet. At night, he would oddly balance himself on my black iron music stand and sleep--- i never quite understood that one.
Ed grew real quick! By spring of ‘97 he was about ready to bust out of his 10 gallon tank. My dad came upon a 50 gallon aquarium one afternoon in need of a little repair. He brought it home, we sealed it up, cleaned it out…and wha-la….Eddie had a new big home!
“Wax-On, Wax-Off” Eddie is the Karate lizard. He’s always done this move against his cage walls that resembles the Karate kid….he stands on his hind legs, and does the circular motion with each front foot up against the glass wall … wax-on ….. wax-off.
He stayed in the 50 gallon tank for several more years. Now, unlike some animals, and much like humans, it takes Iguanas a few years to fully grow & mature. Granted, he grew fast, but didn’t reach his adult length until about 3 or 4 years old.
Mike and I moved into our own apartment in 1999 –and Eddie joined us once we were settled in. In 2000, when he was about 4, he once again was in need of something a bit bigger, and my Dad once again came to his rescue! This time, he build a terrarium—it is 5 ft long, 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide…made out of a wood frame, and plexi-glass walls & floor with a wire mesh top. It rocks! Eddie still resides in this tank today!
Eddie chilling in his new home back in 2000!
At Eddie’s peak size, he was about 10 lbs, and from head to the tip of his tail, measured about 5 feet long.
Here is my BIG BOY at his peak adult size! (2002?)
Over the years, Poor Mr Ed has had his fair share of health issues. Unfortunately, since he is my first lizard, I had no prior experience or knowledge with them….so a lot of things have been trial & error! Like in his first year—around his first Christmas, he started developing these big white lumps on his back….I brought him to the vet only to find out I wasn't feeding him properly! The “diet” the pet-store lady told me to feed him was terribly wrong! They had to lance some of his lumps, and de-worm the poor boy! The vet gave me much better info, and we quickly bulked him up and back to health with proper nutrition. To this day, he has had a scar on his back from the lanced lump—tho it’s never bothered him, thankfully.
He’s had his fair share of toe nail jams….losing several over the years….bit me a few times, but rarely ever malicious about it ( though i do have quite the scars on my arms!). To him, I am his mate. I'm his woman. It took a long while for him to finally accept Mike!
Eddie’s favorite “treats” include boxed Mac & Cheese (he hates real mac & cheese….it has to be the orange crap!), and PIZZA! He will also eat your hand off it you’re holding bread. …so drop it QUICK! Hah! My carb-a-holic boy!
While I was pregnant, I wasn't able to give Eddie the attention he required…which i still feel guilty about to this day. See, Iguanas can also carry salmonella, and we didn't want to risk that during pregnancy, which can be fatal to a fetus. Mike did his best….but in the end, Eddie really suffered that year.
The tip of his tail became gangrene after an accident in our bathroom that was never properly treated. The poor boy had to undergo a partial tail-ectomy (yes, they really do do that and call it that! Hah!)… they removed about 12 inches of tail length. It unfortunately has never healed correctly, and the gangrene is back. But, due to his age….the vet feels it may not be worth the risk of sedation and putting him through so much trauma again for more surgery. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain either, which is most important! So, we’re just letting him be…..icky tail and all!
Eddie will be 13 years old this July! My little old man! He’s still eating, drinking, and pooping like he should….though his strength is far less than it used to be. He’s lost most of his nails and can no longer climb…which is depressing. But…he still loves his heat rock…and enjoys basking in his “sun” all day, like a lounge lizard. He enjoys watching the crazy cats run around and Paige loves watching him too. He still “wax-on wax-off” some days too….which ensures me he is still Eddie. :-)
And that is the true Hollywood story of my cold-blooded scaled son! ;-)
3 comments:
Ohhh, Vicki. What a sweet story! Eduardo is very lucky to have such a loving 'mate' in his life..
That is just so neat!!! How long do iguanas live for? Do you think you'll ever own another one? Is the vet concerned about the infection getting into his blood stream?
Sorry I have a million questions and I really could ask them all :)
Thanks!
Iguanas in captivity live about the same as cats & dogs... so like on average of 12-20 years.
I don't think I could ever own another one... he's been such a part of my life and through so much with me, i think when things are over and done, I will move on to something else.
Yes, the main concern about the tail is that i could eventually spread. That does scare me. He is so weak that I don't think he would ever recover from the trauma of being shoved in a cage and toted 40 minutes away to a vet (not every vet can care for exotic pets, only some)plus surgery. Its a tough decision to make, and I feel awful being the dictator deciding so, ya know? But as long as he seems happy & content, thats all that matters. :-)
Ask away. Eddie is often the center of lots of curiosity to visitors of our house. :-)
Post a Comment