Friday, October 8, 2010

About to become a Family of 4...

At about 6pm tonight.... all my anxiety and wonder about when D is gonna come.... was answered.

I was sitting on the couch, with my feet up, watching the News and playing with the iPod. Paige was playing "School" out on the porch like usual. My cell phone rings...i didnt get to it in time, then the house phone immediatly rings. It's my OBGYN.

"Sorry to call you on a Friday evening".... he starts with..... "We're concerned about Tuesday's ultrasound".... my heart jumped into my throat. After thoroughly viewing the u/s...turns out the estimated size is 12.6 lbs now. This puts Dylan into a "danger zone" to be delivered vaginally. Now, keep in mind, he could still only be 10 or so lbs... but he is definetly at LEAST 10 lbs.

The "danger zone" puts him into a 10 percent chance of shoulder distocia, or even worse.... nerve damage, or broken clavical, arms, or permanent nerve damage if he gets stuck in the birth canal while I attempt to vaginally birth him.

I was mortified. 10 percent doesnt sound huge....but what if? I'd hate myself if my son was permanently injured due to my own fears of surgery. But I still couldnt decide what to do. Not suddenly. Not on the phone, not on the spot. I asked 1000000 questions, and he answered every one. Every scenario. All the risks of going vaginal vs. csection.

Then I asked this question again...the one Ive been asking, but the doctors can never answer. "What SHOULD I do?". He admitted he cant TELL me what to choose, as there is no definete danger...it's all "chances". But then he paused. And says.... "off record? If you were my wife, I would URGE you to please have a c-section".

THAT is what I needed to hear. Someone with medical knowledge. Someone WITH 5 children. I just wanted an educated opinion. Cause honestly, I dont know WHAT to do.

I love my son, and don't want to risk him any injury. I am swallowing my fears and just doing it in hopes that all works well for both of us.

Dylan is scheduled to be born, via c-section, tomorrow, Oct 9th, 2010 at 9am. Wish us luck!!

---

On a side note-- had a nice "last" night with "only child" Paige. Tho the nights news was sprung onto us at 6pm.... we made do with the little time we had! Ate pasta and watched Tv....had cookies and milk...while she showered, I cleaned up...then we played 3 good rounds of "Go Fish"...in which she proved to me her dealing skills. Hehe. Then we snuggled up.....Mommy, Paige, and the big ol belly bump.... and watched Scooby Doo & the Jetsons til 9pm.

We talked A LOT about whats going to happen. She picked her book "Babies Dont Eat Pizza" for her good night story. We snuggled some more. My mom arrived....Mike came home....we all said good night....and my nervous, excited, and awesome soon-to-be-a-big-sister little girl is sound asleep now. :-)

Will I sleep? Doubt it!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow wow WOW! I can't believe the U/S is estimating him as that big!! I can't wait to see his chubber cheeks!! :)
You know what? I would be completely freaked out too, but I know that you will do this, just like how you birthed Paige. You go in there and do one thing at a time - you put on your gown and get in bed. Then the nurse puts in the IV. One step at a time! Focus on that, and it'll all be over and you'll have that baby boy in your arms before you know what happened. :) Try to relax tonight - maybe read a boring book. lol
Of course, we'll be thinking of you and anxiously awaiting news!